EDIT: After a massive response to this post i have a few people to do this for them as they do not know how to install servers or dont have the time, so if you have a need for this then get in contact with me and we can work it out. Thanks for all the responses!
I was recently asked to export a clients blog posts and data from a squarespace account and import it into a WordPress.com blog. I was thinking this would be a easy job but not knowing how to do it i turned to google for the answer, I found, i thought, what i was looking for.
I easily exported the squarespace data and went to the wordpress site to import, it seemed to work but nothing would actually import,it just sort of hung there.
After a lot! of googling I still could not find any reason for this not to work and no one seemed to have a answer.
After many failed attempts and yet seeing ( on youtube ) people easily importing Sqaurespace data it occurred to me that maybe WordPress.com blogs and WordPress.ORG blogs were very different animals and perhaps Wordpress.COM blogs simply are not able to import the blog data from a Squarespace account
Finally, after not finding anyone with the answer I came to this slightly complicated but workable solution to get Squarespace data out and into a WordPress.com blog
Below is a brief step by step of what I did, if you understand all the steps already, great!, if not check back soon and as I will be posting a detailed tutorial with screenshots as soon as I can.
- Log in to your Squarespace account and download you blog data ( see Sqaurespace tutorials )
- Install and start Mamp or another internal/test server
- Create a Mysql database for WordPress
- Download, install and create a Wordpress blog, any details will do ( you can delete this blog straight after )
- Log in to the WordPress blog that you have just created on your test server
- Go to Dashboard and select Tools>Import
- Click ok to install import plugin and select the import Movable Type and TypePad option
- Select the downloaded Squarespace blog data file and select import
- Check Posts to confirm the all the blog data has imported correctly, each post will be listed if successfully imported
- Export the Wordpress( on test server ) blog data as a WordPress data file type ( Tools>Export )
- Log back into your Wordpress.COM blog
- Import the newly exported Wordpress data ( from test server )
- All Done.
I hopes this helps at least one person out there, Let me know if thats you and post a comment.
Or even better if im totally wrong and you have a better way please let me know